You will never know if you hurt the sentiments of a person by referring to them as black or African American or Black American. No one will actually know until you ask that the person out. But you can’t do that either. It may look impolite, and also hurt them even more than before.
So, what should we do about this?
I have got an amazing answer for this.
Addressing Black Americans as African Americans
Read an article where Aisha Harris from the Slate culture expresses that, she has felt a lot of trouble with people coming up to her and asking ‘where do you belong?’ or saying ‘Ah. You look like an African’ kind of comments. She adds, ‘Even though my father has some roots of Nigeria, I don’t prefer to be called as Nigerian-American or the African-American. You can better refer to me as a black American. That’s what I would like.’
But the point is not everyone has the same preferences. Some people may not tolerate being called as a Black American too. What could be done in that case?
When we say African culture in America, then it points out to the contributions of the African Americans to the United States of America. Currently, you will find African American people residing in the West and Central parts of Africa. Also, their identity came to light only during the slavery period, which was practiced in the British American time.
This is one of the core reasons that will make people hurt if you refer to them as black or black-American for instance.
I also read somewhere – if you are among your friends or having an informal meeting, then calling someone black may not sound offensive. But in my opinion, it’s still offensive no matter who you are with. It still matters.
Many people have asked me about this, ‘what should I address the guy/girl, and still not make it offensive?’ Do you know what you can do? Just call him/her by their name, or address them by saying Mr. or Mrs. followed by the surname of the person.
How do you feel now?
That was such a simple solution, isn’t it? So go ahead and try it out next time.
What is the purpose of technology? To make life easier and simpler. Isn’t it? For all cat owners, litter management is something that requires the help. And for the same reason, different automatic litter boxes have been made available. But most of them have just got the hype, and are low performing.
Best Automatic Litter Box – PetSafe Simply Clean Review
Our favorite choice for the Best Automatic Cat Litter Box is none other than PetSafe Simply Clean system. This is a reasonable pick, and environment-friendly too. For the disposal of the waste make use of grocery bags on the receptacle end, and throw it off. But there is more with this litter box which you must know!
Features of PetSafe Simply Clean
People have mentioned their worries relating to the clumped litter, PetSafe can handle them perfectly. It does not require any scooping, this way the cleaning won’t be a messy work for you.
Starting with the installation, the setup is easy! In the same way, cleaning part is also quick. Especially for all those busy working owners. Comparing the unit with the traditional litter boxes, this has got less clumping litter in it. There is one container provided on one end. You can place one recyclable bag in it, and get the waste disposed of without creating any mess. This will maintain a clean and odor-free environment in your home.
This is an automatic machine which does the cleaning work on its own. PetSafe maintains a good healthy environment for you as well as your pet. It is capable of cleaning the unit continuously throughout the day, without disturbing your cat. Working rightly on the odor control, and keeps the waste all out of sight. Best suitable for the cats weighing 15 pounds or less.
Coming to the size and construction, this comes with a compact shape. Therefore not much suitable for multiple cat households though. Another point to note here is that this litter box takes care of the cat well. You won’t find any moving component while the cat is using the system.
How does this PetSafe Simply Clean work?
You are now aware of the system and their features. But how does the litter box work?
First, you need to buy some clay litter, and then add it to the Litter Box. You will find one line marked which indicates the level till which the litter should be filled. For best results, you must fill till the line given on the system.
After the cat is done with their business, the bowl starts rotating in slow motion. This is triggered only in the absence of the cat. There is one conveyor belt which takes along the waste and transfers it into the waste receptacle provided on one end. Then finally remove the container, and dispose of the waste. You can make use of one plastic lining for more easy clean-up.
- No Scooping, No Odour, and No Mess. This is what PetSafe believes in.
- This product does not require any additional component for working or maintenance.
- It is a complete time savior, and even your cat will be pleased with the quick set litter box.
- The unit is not dependent on the user schedule and performs the process at the proper time.
- PetSafe wishes to provide solutions so that the user gets to spend more time with their pets.
- You don’t require the need to touch or see the waste since they are directly transferred onto the belt and passed to the receptacle end.
Users have mentioned about the system is less durable. It is recommended to follow the instructions rightly during setup, and use the unit in the same manner as it is given in the manual. Also, there is a one year warranty. Therefore, you can get the problem fixed if it is within the warranty.
Some Additional Tips
Check out some Quick Litter Box Tips for getting the best Effective use with the PetSafe Litter Box.
- Your cat might take some time with adjusting with the new litter box. For getting things easy for them, you can leave the old litter box uncleaned for days. This will ultimately lead your kitty to get started with the new Litter Box.
- Make sure that you get the right suitable and quality cat litter for this machine. Low-quality litter will only damage the box.
- Do not overfill the litter box, as it will end up with littering your room badly.
- Buying one litter mat is recommended while using this PetSafe Litter Box.
You are all set now! Go for it!
Did you enjoy reading our review for Best Automatic Litter Box 2017? Share your opinions or other valuable suggestions for improvement. You can simply comment them in the space provided below. Show us some love on Cultura Africa.
You might be in a wonder about the concept of Concrete Ping Pong tables. If you are new to this, then this article is just for you. Ping Pong and Table Tennis are the same games; the only difference is with the name in it.
Many famous Ping Pong table brands include Joola, Stiga, Killerspin, etc. There is another type of tennis table which is called as a Concrete Ping Pong table. Only a few companies are into the production of this, while most of them are DIY (Do-It-Yourself at home).
So why are people trying this type of table, and what are the benefits of it? Find the answer below.
Why Concrete Ping Pong Tables the Best?
There are many Ping Pong fans out there, and maybe you have got one too. Let’s rewind back to the time when you were searching out for the table in the shop. First, you have to set the location and take a note of the space available to you. And then accordingly you check out the table which suits well with space.
Some amount of space should be left out in the surrounding area of the table.
You can opt for the Concrete Ping Pong in case you have certain space issues. If you have less space in the interiors, then you can create one concrete table by yourself. Well, it is a bit difficult task. Still, you can follow the DIY videos posted online and get some help from your friend as well. So, along with your friend you can get the construction part done slowly and efficiently.
Now, Why are these tables considered the best? One of the main reasons is they are heavy duty in nature compared to the indoor or other branded ping pong table. All the concrete tables are designed for the outdoor purpose only. They ought to be weather-proof, this quality is missed in other usual ping pong tables.
Most of the best ping pong table reviews said that the Concrete Ping Pong Tables are durable compared to the other tables in this category.
It is hard to destroy concrete tables, while the ordinary tennis tables can be easily damaged. So it is pretty strong against any destruction.
Because of the long-lasting quality, you can make use of this concrete table for many years than the usual ping pong table. You will be required to replace the ordinary tennis table within a few years, while a quality concrete table can last for more than 60 years.
The Concrete tables are majorly produced for outdoor use, though you can use it as an indoor game too. Therefore it can be used for indoor as well as outdoor gaming.
Weight is the only drawback found so far; the concrete ones are heavy compared to the regular ping pong tables. There are many such Known Table Tennis Brands available with quality. This can be a positive point too. Still, it is a drawback too. Heavy tables are unlikely to be stolen from your place or any other public place. Whereas the heaviness can cause trouble with shifting the table from one place to another.
What is your take about the Concrete Ping Pong Tables? Do you find it worthy? Share us your thoughts in the comment space provided below. You can find more articles on our page, Cultura Africa!
Proper use of a Water Softener is only possible if it is installed and maintained in the right way. So, you have invested your time and effort in choosing the Water Softener. You have to give the same effort for the setup and maintenance too. We will cover both these key elements, in this single post.
Water Softener is a piece of equipment which does the task of softening the hard water. Minerals including calcium and magnesium are the ones responsible for hard water. Softener simply replaces both these elements with the sodium ions. This makes the soft water saltier than the hard water.
Tips for Water Softener Installation and Maintenance
You can either get a new softener or rent a used one. The renting option may seem feasible to you, but in the long run, it will cost you a lot with high maintenance charges. So, we will suggest buying a new Water Softener for home.
We assume that you have bought your new softener, and are all set to install it. There are many factors which need to be considered before starting the setup procedure.
If you already had a softener at home, then choose the same location for installation. Whereas, if you are new to the softeners then read on the Installation tips given below.
Water Softener Installation Tips
For a new installation, you need to choose a location first. The location must be near to the plumbing area. Some of the preferred places are the garage, basement area, utility rooms. If you have got a water heater, then install the softener near to the heater.
Make sure the location is not congested so that you can easily service the unit whenever needed.
Also, the location must have an adequate temperature; it should not be freezing as well as too scorching.
Avoid installing the water softeners outdoors. This can damage the softener badly.
Coming to the external hook-ups, you will require one drain floor or any similar utility which can work like the sink. Along with this, there must be one electrical receptacle – the one not dependent on the switch.
After this, check on all the tools you have got for installation. Do a check if you missed on anything.
Take the instruction manual, and begin with the setup. You will also find many service helpline numbers too, which can come to your help in case of any queries or complication. So get all the numbers noted way before you start your installation.
Having a helping hand is beneficial while you are up with large systems like the softeners. Call out your best buddy or a companion to help you out.
Water Softener Maintenance
It is a fact that water softener is low on maintenance. You don’t have to invest much for maintaining this system since it does not require it! They are heavy built, and with regular maintenance you won’t face many issues with the unit either.
Note down the following points, and follow them for maintaining the Water Softener in the best way.
- It is important to opt for a good quality Salt for regeneration. You may get attracted to the rock salt as it is cheaply available. But after certain usage time, it leaves out a lot of sediments on the brine tank’s surface. Thus less amount of salt dissolves in the brine tank, which makes the resin beads inactive. This will eventually affect the functioning of the overall unit. So choose the Salt wisely!
- Go for the purest form of the salt, which will leave less residue on the surface.
- Only considerable amount of salt is to be added inside the softener. If your salt tank is still half filled, then you don’t have to add salt in this case. So, wait till the maximum amount of the solution is used up, and do not add salt for more than 2/3rd of the container.
- Another equally important component which requires being checked – Rust condition.
- Carry out the cleaning of the brine tank, at least once in a year.
- The final thing to check is the drain line. If you have got any confusion with this component, then contact a professional for setup. It is important as any other processing section, so you don’t take it a light issue.
That’s all with the maintenance and care of a Water Softener. If you find it difficult then, you can hire some expert for getting the task done. Get every point checked, and reviewed by the hired professional.
Were these Tips for Water Softener Installation and Maintenance informative enough? Let us know your thoughts and suggestions in the comment space. Find more similar content on Cultura Africa, and do a follow for receiving all the post updates.
Your favorite Latte can now be prepared at home. If you are a Coffee-Latte lover, then you must have thought of making it by yourself at some point.
Visiting Cafes and spending time with your friends is indeed fulfilling. But when you wish to spend some me-time and have a cup of Latte by your side, is yet another experience. This is now possible if you know how to make a perfect Latte and that too without an Espresso Machine.
This may sound deceiving at first, but it is a tested and proven method!
How To Make a Latte at Home Without an Espresso Machine
There are a variety of coffee drinks available, which includes Latte, Cappuccino, Americano, Mocha, and others. Almost all of them are prepared on an Espresso Machine, which gives it an authentic taste and flavor. I would suggest Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine to make quality Latte at home
But it is important to know the major difference between all of them. Let’s find them out.
- Latte– In this drink, a 1/3rd portion is filled with Espresso. This is topped with 2/3 portion of steamed milk. It is finally presented to you with a spoonful of milk foam floating on the drink.
- Americano– This includes Espresso and hot water. First Espresso is brewed, and then just add some hot water. Your Americano shot is ready!
- Cappuccino– It is very close to the Latte, but the only difference lies in the milk and foam ratio. In this, equal portions of steamed milk and milk foam are added. Rest remains the same.
- Mocha– It can be termed as the Choco variant of Latte. This is just similar to Latte preparation with an addition of Chocolate syrup. Chocolate and Coffee in one drink!
- Macchiato– This is a unique type, considering all the above ones. It consists of Espresso drink along with Milk foam on the top. As it makes use of little milk, it is termed as a ‘stained coffee’ since the foam looks just like a stain on the espresso.
Beginning with the Latte without Espresso unit
In case you don’t have an Espresso machine, you will be required to use a French Press or Aeropress method for brewing. You can’t simply avoid all the units, and get started with the preparation.
- The basic one, Espresso coffee or any strongly brewed coffee from Aeropress.
- Some milk; with less or no fat.
- Cocoa powder for garnishing
Now, the tools needed for the making:
- One Jar with a Lid, Microwave-friendly is preferable
- Bit large Coffee Mug
- One large spoon
Procedure to Make a Latte Without an Espresso Machine:
- First, you need to prepare an Espresso drink. This can be any strongly brewed coffee from your Aeropress, or even the Nespresso will do this job. Make sure that the milk is not diluted with water here. If you are considering proportions, then taking 1/3rd of the cup for Espresso is considered the standard one. Well, this can vary from one person to another.
- The second step is to create a froth in the milk. Take the Jar, and fill the milk into it not more than half of the size. Place the lid, and tighten it up nicely. Shake the jar, till the milk get frothy and almost covers up the other half of the container. It should be performed only for a max of 1 minute.
- Open up the jar, and place it in the microwave without the lid on. Microwave the milk for just 30 seconds. You will find the froth has reached on the top portion of the jar, and the heat of the oven will do the job of strengthening the milk.
- Take out the warm milk from the microwave oven, and pour it as it is on the top of the Espresso coffee. During this time, make use of a spoon and keep a hold on the milk foam present in Espresso cup. You must consider buying a good machine after knowing Best Espresso Machine Reviews from others. Pour the complete steamed milk into the large Coffee Mug.
- The final step deals with the milk foam. You can add as much foam that you wish into the Latte. Note one point that, if you increase the proportion by a certain limit then it will turn into a Cappuccino! A simple layer of milk foam will do the job.
This is the among the easiest ways in which you can prepare a Latte without an Espresso. Comment down your opinion about this method. Share the post, if you found it relevant and worthy. Follow Cultura Africa for regular feeds!
creating a multicultural workshops for primary and secondary schools, universities and other institutions.
Current offer workshops :
Uganda and East Africa
Talking about culture, art, traditions and overall life of the people in East Africa, accompanied by video projections. It also includes a sample of African music and dance involving the audience and discussion on current problems of Africa, for example. Development aid, conflict, HIV / AIDS …
Trainer: Jan Bashaijha Mwesigwa
Suitable for school students but also for the general public.
Length of program: 1,5h
Democratic Republic of Congo
Talking about the Democratic Republic of Congo focused on culture, customs, traditions, history, daily life as well as development cooperation, the political situation, the current conflicts etc.
Lecturer: Fabrice Nduba Bondo (Congolese medical student in the UK Pilsen)
Length: 1.5 h
symbolism in African art
lecture about symbolism in art tribes of West Africa with a show of folk literature.
Lecturer: Kateřina Mildnerová (doktorantka the Department of Anthropology, University of West Bohemia in Pilsen)
Length of program: about 1 hour.
overview of the development of African and Afro-American music, from traditional to contemporary creation. It also includes sample games on traditional African instruments.
Lector: Tomáš Machalík (PhD student in the Department of Anthropology, University of West Bohemia in Pilsen)
Length: about 1 hour.
Music and dance performances. Namibian legend told by the sounds of drums, djembe, Akadinga (finger piano) and other African instruments.
Number of participants: 5
Duration: about 40 minutes.
The offense and stingy Mbintangolo
Namibia tale of how evil Mbintangola eventually his own greed punished.
For children 3 to 6 years.
Number of participants: 3
Length of program: about 40 minutes
Namibian wedding ritual music and dance of administration graduate course in African dance led by Pennejambeko Daniels and Lenka jisova.
Number of participants: 10
Length of program: 45 minutes
Cultura Africa hosts the African artist Maurice Yeka in the Czech Republic.
Maurice Yeka is a professional dancer, choreographer and visual artist originally from the Democratic Republic of Congo. He currently lives and works in Uganda.
In his artistic works illustrates the painful history of his country, its people living their everyday lives and emotions based on separation from his home.
We will organize Maurice:
- Workshops African traditional and modern dance
- multicultural lecture on “The meaning and roots of African dance and African dancer’s life”
- a dance performance entitled “How to Dance Saved My Life”
- art symposium
Lectures and dance performances are conceived as a multicultural workshops suitable for primary and secondary schools and other educational institutions. Include dance Introduction (5 minutes), lecture What is hidden in the roots of dance and African dance (30 min), dance performance (30 min) and a final discussion (20 min).
Dance workshops are open to all dancers who want to enrich their repertoire of motion East African dance elements.
Dance performances are suitable for theaters, festivals, social events, etc.
Maurice is an international dancer, choreographer and teacher of African contemporary and traditional dance. It focuses on understanding the inner movement from the perspective of diverse traditions of their country and culture.
Maurice was born in 1981 in Bunia in the former Zaire (now Congo). Dancer path already began as a youngster in your modern dance group in Congo (Congolese ensemble of modern dance), with whom he performed throughout the country. He was one of the best dancers and choreographers in this group. Talent Maurice also helped develop Linyenkula Faustin, director and choreographer of Kabako Studio in the capital Kinshasa.
After high school graduation in Bunia Maurice was forced, due to a conflict that shook the country, fleeing to the neighboring country of Uganda. There is also devoted to dance, and in addition are studied Fine Art at Makerere University in Kampala. Dance also studied with renowned dancer Reginald Kambale, artistic director of the dance group Ngoma, which was the first dance company to which Uganda joined.
As a teacher of dance and art Maurice traveled through the countries of East Africa. Workshops were held led by professional dancers, artists, but also for example for street children. Treat your buddies with African food dishes.
In 1999 Maurice founded the dance troupe Dance Makaramba, which consists of dancers and poets. The performance of the group is a fascinating mixture of dance and movement theater sometimes bordering avantgarde.
Maurice continues to explore and develop their artistic style. Inspiration from the painful history of their country and their countrymen and emotions stemming from life outside his home. Mauricova lifelong love for dance, music and African culture in America has a great influence on his artistic expression. Maurice has a great gift of dance to teach and pass on.