Your favorite Latte can now be prepared at home. If you are a Coffee-Latte lover, then you must have thought of making it by yourself at some point.
Visiting Cafes and spending time with your friends is indeed fulfilling. But when you wish to spend some me-time and have a cup of Latte by your side, is yet another experience. This is now possible if you know how to make a perfect Latte and that too without an Espresso Machine.
This may sound deceiving at first, but it is a tested and proven method!
How To Make a Latte at Home Without an Espresso Machine
There are a variety of coffee drinks available, which includes Latte, Cappuccino, Americano, Mocha, and others. Almost all of them are prepared on an Espresso Machine, which gives it an authentic taste and flavor.
But it is important to know the major difference between all of them. Let’s find them out.
- Latte– In this drink, a 1/3rd portion is filled with Espresso. This is topped with 2/3 portion of steamed milk. It is finally presented to you with a spoonful of milk foam floating on the drink.
- Americano– This includes Espresso and hot water. First Espresso is brewed, and then just add some hot water. Your Americano shot is ready!
- Cappuccino– It is very close to the Latte, but the only difference lies in the milk and foam ratio. In this, equal portions of steamed milk and milk foam are added. Rest remains the same.
- Mocha– It can be termed as the Choco variant of Latte. This is just similar to Latte preparation with an addition of Chocolate syrup. Chocolate and Coffee in one drink!
- Macchiato– This is a unique type, considering all the above ones. It consists of Espresso drink along with Milk foam on the top. As it makes use of little milk, it is termed as a ‘stained coffee’ since the foam looks just like a stain on the espresso.
Beginning with the Latte without Espresso unit
In case you don’t have an Espresso machine, you will be required to use a French Press or Aeropress method for brewing. You can’t simply avoid all the units, and get started with the preparation.
- The basic one, Espresso coffee or any strongly brewed coffee from Aeropress.
- Some milk; with less or no fat.
- Cocoa powder for garnishing
Now, the tools needed for the making:
- One Jar with a Lid, Microwave-friendly is preferable
- Bit large Coffee Mug
- One large spoon
Procedure to Make a Latte Without an Espresso Machine:
- First, you need to prepare an Espresso drink. This can be any strongly brewed coffee from your Aeropress, or even the Nespresso will do this job. Make sure that the milk is not diluted with water here. If you are considering proportions, then taking 1/3rd of the cup for Espresso is considered the standard one. Well, this can vary from one person to another.
- The second step is to create a froth in the milk. Take the Jar, and fill the milk into it not more than half of the size. Place the lid, and tighten it up nicely. Shake the jar, till the milk get frothy and almost covers up the other half of the container. It should be performed only for a max of 1 minute.
- Open up the jar, and place it in the microwave without the lid on. Microwave the milk for just 30 seconds. You will find the froth has reached on the top portion of the jar, and the heat of the oven will do the job of strengthening the milk.
- Take out the warm milk from the microwave oven, and pour it as it is on the top of the Espresso coffee. During this time, make use of a spoon and keep a hold on the milk foam present in Espresso cup. Pour the complete steamed milk into the large Coffee Mug.
- The final step deals with the milk foam. You can add as much foam that you wish into the Latte. Note one point that, if you increase the proportion by a certain limit then it will turn into a Cappuccino! A simple layer of milk foam will do the job.
This is the among the easiest ways in which you can prepare a Latte without an Espresso. Comment down your opinion about this method. Share the post, if you found it relevant and worthy. Follow Cultura Africa for regular feeds!